Thursday, January 31, 2008

i've gone and done it

i did it. i researched dr. oz's green drink that he featured on oprah, and took myself to the grocery store to purchase the ingredients and to re-stock my fridge with the necessities to live great in 08. i thought my fridge looked to nice and colorful not to show it off!


To keep rachael ray happy, i pre-washed all of my veggies as soon as i got home, and loaded them up in mixing bowls according to their purpose.

-Yellow Mixing bowl: ingredients for homemade salsa (tomatoes, cilantro and jalapeƱos)
-White Mixing bowl on 2nd shelf: veggies for dinner (carrots, zucchini, squash and bell peppers)
-White Mixing bowl on bottom shelf: Green Drink Ingredients (celery, parsley, cucumber, kale)


With all the ingredients on the counter, i set to chopping and measuring. yes, i measured - can you believe it?


so here's what we have.
-2 cups of spinach
-2 cups of cucumber (one entire cucumber sliced)
-3 stalks of celery
-1/2 inch of ginger root (don't try a little taste of this... trust me... it burned my tongue!)
-1 bunch of parsley
-1 cup of kale (not on dr. oz's recipe, but i love it and it's green, so why not?)
-2 apples (i used gala apples)



then with the help of my new obsession, my hand held immersion blender... this was the final result.


now for my thoughts.

1. Please don't think i'm weird, ok you can, but i LOVED it! I will definitely make it again.

2. The most noticeable flavor was the celery. Next time i'll probably use 2 stalks instead of 3.

3. It was more of a smoothie form than liquid drink form. perhaps dr. oz added some water or something to liquefy? or maybe that's why he says use a blender.

4. I had more than enough for 2 FULL 16oz cups and i didn't follow the recipe online to the exact measurements. mostly because i was using my air tight container and space was limited. plus it held nicely in the air tight container so i could enjoy it for lunch 2 days in a row.

5. Using the hand held immersion blender will not only give you a green drink, but a work out! or maybe carpal tunnel...

enjoy.