Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving 2009

The new Thanksgiving tradition for our family of 3 is to spend Thanksgiving away from our families. Our business has it's busiest day of the year the day after Thanksgiving, so it doesn't make sense for us to travel, but we would love to have our families here. I think they are all afraid we'll put them to work the next day, so they shy away.

Last year was a fail. We ate mexican food and went in and worked. BOO! This year, we invited friends over that had no where to go and made a traditional Thanksgiving meal. Much better for the heart and soul to stick to traditional Thanksgiving plans (and not go into work when not absolutely necessary!)

First, I tackled a turkey breast. There were only 3 of us, so really there was no need for 15lbs of turkey. I worried that it would be dry, because it seems that more often than not turkey is dry, but the method worked.

I did a variation/adjustment for size on Cooking Light's Ultimate Roasted Turkey. Don't shy away from the "cooking light" in the title. I patted him down with herb butter and slid some under his skin. I basted him every 30 min for 2.5 hours and he was moist and delicious!


To accompany the bird, I fixed Sweet Potato Casserole {for me}, Southern Cornbread Dressing/Stuffing (depending on where you're from) {for me & justin} & Hash Brown Casserole {for justin}. And of course, Sister Shubert made my rolls. I just looked back through all these recipes and they all came from Cooking Light as well. The Sweet Potatoes {save for being under the broiler for too long} and the Southern Cornbread Dressing were both delicious! I couldn't tell that they weren't chocked full of bad for you calories.


I made everything the day before so all I would have to do was bake the dishes and I do not think that was a wise choice for the hash brown casserole. We all ate it, but it wasn't as good as I'm used to.

Justin told me later that day, "Babe, honestly, that was the best Thanksgiving meal I've ever had." No better compliment.


Happy Thanksgiving 2009

from The Flowers'