Wednesday, November 25, 2009

what is there to be thankful for?



I know blogs are usually happy and fluffy and thanksgiving is tomorrow, but Justin and I were talking the other day and I told him, "2009 has been my least favorite year." Marriage has been harder, because our work has been so stressful. My family has suffered major heartache. Mostly it feels like everything I've asked the Lord for has gone the other way. I refuse to believe that woe is me and I can boldly claim in His name that He will not give me more than I can handle and He will give me the desires of my heart. I know I will one day look back on 2009 and realize aha, this is why things didn't turn out MY way!




It got me to thinking, though, surely beyond all the frustration and the stress and the heartbreak there is something to be thankful for? When I looked around, there was much to be thankful for.




~I'm thankful I'm not Kate Gosselin. When I think about her life, damn. I have learned from her how not to speak to and treat my husband. I vowed to love, honor & cherish him, which starts with my words and manifest in my actions.




~I'm thankful that God has entrusted me with 25 lives that I get serve and love every day. As crazy as work gets at time, I cherish the moments when I look around and think holy cow (no pun intended) how were we lucky enough to get this opportunity?




~I'm thankful that hamstring injuries heal. My body has so graciously allowed me to do things this year that I never dreamed of doing and pushed itself to limits I never knew were possible.




~I'm thankful for candle warmers. I love the way candles smell, love to have them burning, but dang they melt down fast. Not with a candle warmer! Best $5 I've ever spent and now I need like 5 more.




~I'm thankful for our neighbors. I haven't know or been friendly with neighbors in YEARS. Our neighbors feel like an extension of our home. They go in my home when I'm not there (even if my house is messy) and I've let their dogs sleep in our bed. Honestly, if they moved or we moved I'm not sure who would be the saddest ~ us or the babies.




~I'm thankful for waking up every morning. The best part of my day is when I wake up and see my 2 favorite loves sleeping peacefully. With those two by my side, how bad can things get?




Happy Thanksgiving, Friends.