Saturday, December 24, 2005

although it's been said many times, many ways...merry christmas

merry christmas eve, friends!

for 23 years of my life on christmas eve we went over to gram and pop's and ate mexican stack (aka- taco salad) and then either went to the Christmas Eve or waited for what seemed like forever for Pop to finish up his usher duties and come home so we could open presents. i eventually learned that it made more sense to just go to the christmas eve service. it then became special time to dress up. i remember one year i was so excited to wear my full length short sleeved velvet dress. this year was just as special...i wore my sparkly shrug. i never mind being a little over-dressed.

this year was finger foods instead of mexican stack, and when we got home from church the little ones were already tearing into gifts. i always had to wait, and it nearly killed me. i expect the same from them.

christmas morning is when santa always came. i remember my brother used to sleep in my room on christmas eve, because we'd be soooo anxious to wake up and see what we got. over the years, 6am turned to 9 and has now become opening santa's gifts on christmas eve.

traditions have changed over the years as me and my family have changed. christmas is a special time period, whether it is repeated year after year or twisted differently.

i hope you all have a nice time this evening and tomorrow. i leave you with my favorite verse from the christmas story.

a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord.