Thursday, December 22, 2005

tiny tim and the egg nog

One of my favorite things about the holidays is egg nog. It doesn’t even have to be adult egg nog. I like it straight from the carton. One of the most appealing charms of egg nog, is that you can only get it once a year. So, I take advantage of the few weeks a year that I can enjoy one of life’s greatest pleasures.

I ran out of egg nog on Tuesday night, so on my way home from work on Wednesday I stopped by the grocery store to pick up some nog. The first store I went to only had regular egg nog, which has 200 calories per half cup. So, I decided I’d go to the other grocery store to see if they had lite egg nog (140 calories per half cup). The other store didn’t have any lite egg nog, but they had a good variety of egg nogs, so I grabbed the one in the festive carton entitled Holiday Egg Nog.

I get to the counter to check out, and of course I’m talking on my cell phone, and when I get to check out I realize I have no egg nog. So, I call out to the man who checked out in front of me, because I think he has my egg nog. He checked his bag, and sure enough my holiday EN is in his bag. So, he grabs his receipt and asks the clerk if he was charged for it. He was charged, so he looks at me and says, “Hey, don’t worry about it, Merry Christmas.”

I was his very own angel tree kid in person. I felt like a little tiny tim. Is it bad that my first thought was maybe I should have gotten the more expensive kind?