Thursday, August 30, 2007

at last

last night i had the distinct privilege of attending the Etta James and The Roots concert as a very important person. as cool as it would have been to see Etta James with The Roots, it was a trick - her band is called The Roots Band. In other cruel jokes, no one told this grandma that that grandma wouldn't be gracing the stage until after 10:30, which is the middle of the night for me on a school night!

i was able to hold my eyes open for a little bit of the show, mostly because i could hardly believe what i was seeing and hearing. and if you're not quite sure who i'm talking about think At Laaaaaaaaast... My love has come along. My lonely days are over, and life is like a song. (clearly i should be on one of those new singing bee shows!)

so i go in expecting to see:
instead... she was a teeny little woman with enormous (seriously, maybe a size 12 or 13) feet and platinum blonde hair! Mrs. James has a voice like you honestly can't believe and no record, cd or ipod could do justice like hearing it in person. at her age, she's still got it. While her gyrations made me nervous that she'd break her hip and the way she ran her hands down her body made me squirm a little bit with embarrassment and be thankful that all my gram grabs for is her walker, she is a true legend.