Friday, February 06, 2009

Putting on the layers

You met my *NEW* sweet friend Shanda yesterday, so I thought it fitting to share with you some of our Superbowl Supper. Did y'all know that the meal you eat at night is supper? Now that I'm in Mississippi I eat DINNER at Noon and SUPPER at night. Therefore we had a Superbowl Supper.

I braised some DELISH ribs and baked some cheddar dill cornbread from scratch, but all I got a picture of was the appetizer spread minus the fresh salsa and bacon wrapped stuffed jalapenos. OOPS! They were both definite "do-overs" in our house, so perhaps I'll let you peak in on round two. Wish you could just come over and try them in person, because they were so low cal, but highly tasty.

Here's the appetizer spread that got us through to halftime when our supper was ready to be served. Guess which side of the table the weight watcher was responsible for?

Yeah, not the bacon tomato cups or the cheesey bread bowl.

Here's my side of the table... the Texas Caviar and the Layered Mexican Bean Dip.


Do y'all know what Texas Caviar is? The best way for me to describe it is crack in a bowl. Black eyed peas, red bell peppers, green bell peppers, jalapenos, onions and dash of red wine vinegar and fat free italian dressing. I ran out of my 1 point serving of chips and looked at my spoon with devilish eyes.

However, it's the OTHER dip that I just had to share with not only my Fat Chick friends, but all my sweet bloggy friends, because the entire time I was eating this all I could think was EVERY ONE HAS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS IMMEDIATELY. I could probably eat an entire bowl of layered dip if I really put my mind to it, so you can imagine my surprise when I found there was a healthier version. Even if you aren't technically watching your weight, it never hurts to cut calories in a new place. It was almost as surprising to me as FAT FREE REFRIED BEANS! Somewhere in my youth or childhood I must have done something good to deserve FAT FREE REFRIED BEANS!

So here's how it plays out...

Ingredients
16 oz fat-free canned refried beans
3 medium avocado, finely mashed
1/4 tsp table salt
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 cup(s) fat-free sour cream
2 tbsp Old El Paso Fajita Seasoning Mix, or other brand
1/2 cup(s) Weight Watchers Reduced Fat Shredded Mexican-Style Cheese
1 small tomato(es), chopped
2 medium scallion(s), sliced
10 medium olive(s), black, sliced or chopped
2 tbsp cilantro, fresh, chopped

Instructions
~Spread beans evenly over bottom of a 9- X 13-inch glass baking dish or a medium-size glass bowl.

~In a20small bowl, combine avocado, salt and lemon juice. Spread avocado mixture over beans; top with sour cream.

~Sprinkle fajita seasoning over sour cream layer. Next, layer remaining ingredients on top in order listed.

~Serve immediately or chill until ready to use. Yields about 1/4 cup of dip per serving.

Which brings me to this... it's WEIGH IN DAY at Four Fat Chicks! Did we GAIN or did we lose?