Thursday, April 16, 2009

"Vacation is what you take when you can't take what you've been taking any longer."

Our trip to Orange Beach was our first time back at the beach since our honeymoon in December of 2007. We've taken little trips here and there, but there's no place quite like the beach.

2009, so far, has been a rough year for the two of us. We work together and I think we work well together picking up where the other lags, but this assignment has been hard and quite frankly frustrating. Some days it feels like I get to work with my husband and other days it feels like I'm married to my boss.

When I say we needed this vacation I'm saying we needed to get away from our daily life for a minute. Mostly we needed good rest and no schedule to follow. We work 6 days a week and the thing about being married to your boss means that you bring work home...actually you take work with you every where you go. Except the beach. They don't allow work there.

We arrived Saturday afternoon, and the minute we laid our stuff out on the beach we lathered sunscreen and immediately fell sound asleep. Our bodies wasted no time adapting to the vacation way of life. We went for long walks on the beach, ate good food, went to bed early, and reconnected on many levels.
These pictures were taken on our last night & it was so cold on the beach, and that was the only this we would have changed about the entire trip. 10 degrees warmer, and it would have been perfect. I'm realizing that perfect doesn't fit well with our life & our marriage and this year has made me see how imperfect the two of us are and how hard we have to work to keep our happy marriage happy. But as far as birthdays and vacations go, this one will definitely be one for the books.

People usually have big opinions when I say that I work with my husband and I have one too. It's not easy everyday, but let me put it this way... membership definitely has it's privileges.
*Thank you JF for such a meaningful birthday gift. I'm still as lucky today as I was December 1, 2006 when I met you at the avis counter.