Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Farmer's Market

My house has been like the farmer's market this week starting with my Sunday School teacher's wife {are you still with me} giving me some garden grown tomatoes & cucumbers, then my neighbor bringing me fresh peaches. You know where the peaches are going to end up... it's that time of year! But I've been debating where to go with the tomatoes. I gathered the supplies for salsa, but the more I looked at the tomatoes, the more the salsa didn't feel right and I couldn't get the idea of stuffed tomatoes out of my head.

So here's what I gathered for the stuffing...

-Ground Turkey Sausage
-Southwestern Rice with Black Beans & Corn
-Diced Tomatillos
-Monterrey Jack Cheese

I sauteed all of these things in a skillet to get the flavors mingling & to melt the cheese. Then I hollowed out 6 beautiful tomatoes.


Aren't they so gorgeous & juicy? Tomatoes are far and away my favorite veggie.

Now that they are stuffed, cover them in cheese and slip them in the oven. I cooked them for 5 minutes at 350degrees & then set the oven to broil for 5 more minutes.

Is it sad that one of the most delightful things in the world to me is crusty cheese? I love it when it burns on the pan and I can pick it off. Call me crazy... until you try it!

I wasn't sure how these would turn out, but was delighted with the outcome. Sometimes when I think up a dish to whip up it doesn't turn out as good in my mind, but thankfully this did. Fabulous evening for all ~ I was in and out of the kitchen in no time & husband cleaned his plate!