Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Eda-Eda-Edamame!

Hello, WHIRLWIND! I didn't get a chance to update my food on Thursday, because I was away from the computer, and when I arrived home on Friday all we had to eat in the house was oreos and rotel. I enjoy getting creative with a bare bones cabinet, but I think that would have been a stretch even for me.

All in all, I was pleased with how detox week turned out. Thursday night I have to admit that I cheated a bit. I had dinner and stayed the night with my aunt & cousin, and I just can not bring myself to be a stuffy vegetarian! Flexitarian {meat a couple of times a week} is fine by me and much more manageable with my lifestyle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jill asked in one of the last comments what Edamame is and it dawned on me that there might be others of you that don't know! Edamame is the Japanese word for boiled Soybeans! I think the first time I ever tried edamame was as an appetizer for sushi. Last year when I was doing WeightWatchers I was trying to cut out fries and chips and had the idea that this might be a yummy salty replacement! I've eaten this a LOT, sometimes several meals a day since then and I can honestly say that I haven't gotten tired of it yet and if I miss it a couple of meals I crave it!
For a long time I could get it at Sam's in a box with 8 individual servings, but then they stopped carrying it {probably because I was the only person buying it}. Funny story ~ one time I asked about it and the manager said, "Why don't you just get some green beans and put soy sauce on them!" I hope you read that with your very best country accent.
Now I buy them by the bag and the serving is large enough to split it up between a couple of meals, but the nutrition information is so fabulous that you don't have to feel bad if you want to eat the entire thing! I snapped this pic of the nutrition label yesterday while I was eating so y'all can see what I'm talking about. Also, if you count WW points, this is very low points! Waaa hooo, right?

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll get back to you! Next I want to show y'all how to eat healthy on a budget, because I hate that people think eating good is just oh so expensive!