Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Wild Garlic


{This is what I look like at 7pm on Sunday night after waking up at 6:30am for a 7.5 mile run, Church, laying out, watching Tiger lose the masters, grocery shopping & preping and cooking dinner. eeekkk... sorry!}
Maybe it's because I just finished reading Julie & Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously, but I've felt so inspired to blog and blog about FOOD! I do not, however, feel inspired enough to cook through an entire cookbook in any amount of time. I loved the movie and I really loved the book, but I couldn't help but think about how expensive the project probably was, especially if you factor in cooking things you don't end up liking? But it would have been fun to have been her friend and invited to dinner at her house. Ok, so pictured above is me with the Wild Garlic! Crazy wild, huh? I had never really heard of it and in my online research I gathered that it was more popular outside of the USA, so measurements were tricky. I decided my first cooking attempt with Wild Garlic would be Wild Garlic Pesto, because as fate would have it...I already had the other ingredients. Most importantly I had a container of raw pine nuts that I've threatened to throw out for a while, but never did. I learned that you don't use the white bulb part of the wild garlic, instead you chop the leaves. The Wild Garlic has a pungent garlic smell {which i love}, and the websites said the taste was mild, but I disagree. Maybe I've been eating jar garlic for too long, but it was strong! {which I also love} I thought it chopped up gorgeously and was just begging for a photo. I bought a little 3-cup food processor that I believe will probably change my chopping life... or at least my salsa life. {made that too, Sunday night} For the Pesto I processed ~ wild garlic, olive oil, toasted pine nuts & Parmesan cheese slivers. I added salt, because the recipe suggested, but I think I probably should have laid off. It is so fresh and delicious tasting. So far so good and I'm very pleased with out FIRST CSA recipe! Stay tuned for the Mediterranean Turkey Burgers I made by incorporating the pesto. Original recipe found here...